Tesla recommends charging your Tesla vehicle overnight, just like your mobile phone. Pull into your garage, plug in, and you will wake up to a full charge the next morning. Even better, electricity will only be a fraction of the cost of gasoline.
To prepare your home for charging, hire an electrician from Penna Electric to install a dedicated circuit conveniently near where you will park your Tesla vehicle. The charge port is located in the driver side rear taillight. As with any home improvement project involving the electrical system, a permit and city or county inspection may be required. We can check with your city to see if one is required before we begin work.
Model S and Model X include the following charging accessories as standard equipment:
- Mobile Connector (20 feet)
- Adapter for standard 120 volt household outlets (NEMA 5-15)
- Adapter for higher power 240 volt outlet (NEMA 14-50)
- Adapter for public charging stations (SAE J1772)
The Mobile Connector and adapters are used to plug into various types of electrical outlets and can provide a maximum of 40 amps to a vehicle. Your delivery orientation specialist will review this hardware with you when you pick up your vehicle. To charge with the standard equipment, you must install a 240 volt NEMA 14-50 outlet at home which can be done by the electricians at Penna Electric.
When preparing to charge at home, there are two primary options Tesla owners choose from:
- Install a 240 volt outlet, called a NEMA 14-50. Use the Mobile Connector included with your vehicle to plug into this outlet.
- Install a Tesla Wall Connector for faster charging and more convenience. Order a Wall Connector from the online shop or your local service center.