Electrical fires are one of the leading causes of house fires that can lead to severe damage to a home. They can also injure you and put your family members at risk of severe injury or even death. You can avoid such fires by making sure your electrical outlets, plugs, and cords are safe to use. It is advisable to use electrical appliances only as they are designed to be used and keep the wiring in good condition throughout your home.
How can you prevent electrical accidents in your home?
Electrical fires in any home can be prevented through three different ways that include:
- Appropriate maintenance of electrical outlets, plugs, and cords
- Using electrical equipment and appliances safely
- Maintaining the proper electrical wiring in your home
Check that all electrical outlets in your home are fixed tightly and safely to the wall. Any loose-fitting plugs should be immediately tightened because they can lead to electrical shock or fire exposure. If you observe any of the wall plates are missing or broken, replace them with new ones so none of the wiring is left exposed.
Avoid tampering with electrical plugs. By no means should you remove the third point on a plug in order to make it fit into a two-conductor outlet. You should never twist or bend the prongs on the plug as this can also lead to serious injury.
For multiple plugs, you can use a surge protector. This is the safest option because overloading an electrical outletwith many plugs can cause fires. Instead, buy surge protectors that are UL approved and place them throughout your home. Ensure that you plug no more than one to three cords into the surge protector at a time.
It is a good idea to get into the habit of checking the electrical cords in your home to make sure that they are not cracked or frayed. If they are, replace them immediately with the new electrical cords. Avoid using extension cords as a permanent solution for your power needs. Although it may be tempting to use extension cords on your electronics or appliances, you should use them only as a temporary solution in your home, as they can cause major electrical accidents.
Using electrical equipment and appliances safely
While using any electrical equipment or appliance, make sure you follow the instructions that came with the appliance. You should never use faulty equipment or appliances in your home and you should never attempt to alter an electrical appliance in any way. Get into the habit of disconnecting small devices such as electric toasters, kettles, and hair dryers after their use. This will not only save you electricity, but it will also lower the hazard of electrical fires. Take care that you use the correct light bulbs in lamps and fixtures. Avoid using higher wattage light bulbs other than the recommended ones, as it may cause an electrical hazard.
Make sure your home electrical outlets are connected with Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters. This can help prevent electrical fires by automatically shutting down the power if an electrical circuit is at risk or overloaded.
Maintaining the proper electrical wiring in your home
If your home is older, keep an eye on warning signs of defective wiring. Older apartments and homes are at a higher risk of defective wiring. You may want to consider having the wiring professionally inspected by a licensed electrician just for that added peace of mind.
Electrical fires in homes cause greater loss of dollars per fire than any other type of fire. According to the recent survey conducted by the U.S. Fire Administration, more than 25,000 electrical fires are reported yearly in the country, causing serious injury or death to more than 1,300 individuals. Taking preventive measures will not only avoid hazardous electrical accidents, but they will also offer the required safety to your home and family.
If you are in need of any type of electrical repairs or installation, call Penna Electric. Our knowledgeable, experienced staff will get your electrical work done right the first time every time.